Dazed and Confused: Water Marble Nail Art



A recent youtube tutorial on water marble nail art caught my eye. I had never even heard of this technique, so I just HAD to try it. I recorded my very first try, which is documented in the video in step 3. I think it turned out decent, but I learned some valuable lessons. Next time I will not make the same mistakes. It is very time consuming, MESSY, and frustrating...but the end result is worth it. 

Step 1: Gather supplies: at least two nail polish colors (I used three in my video--Sinful Colors: Midnight Blue, Charlotte Rouse: Jade, and L.A. Colors: Gold Sparkle), scotch tape, a cup or bowl full of room temperature water, a wooden nail stick (or toothpick), q-tips, and fingernail polish remover.

The KEY is to pick both darker and lighter colors.

Step 2: Use the Scotch tape around your nail to protect your finger from getting covered in nail polish (see picture below). It doesn't have to be perfect because you can clean it up later with fingernail polish remover. 

You can also apply a clear or colored base coat at this point if you want. I used a clear base coat, but I am curious how a colored base coat would look.



Step 3:  This step is best illustrated in the video posted below. Just in case someone can't view the video, I have written instructions too.  

The key to this step is to be QUICK

To make the marbling glaze, place drops of nail polish (rotating between the colors you picked out) into your cup of water making rings of colors. The outside edges of the ring will form a skin and become unusable by the time you finish dropping in the last drop of color. In the center of the ring where the newest drops of polish were laid, insert the tip of your wooden nail stick or toothpick, swirl the colors around to make any pattern you want. Work quickly because the polish will harden quickly.

Dip ONE finger into the marbling glaze. It will "goop" up around your finger. Use the toothpick to remove the excess.

Clean the water and repeat process until all nails are done.

Note: In the video, my finger tip is not completely emerged in the water (It actually looks as if I am scared to put my finger in the water). Do not be afraid to complete submerge your finger tip into the water. I did on later nails, and it actually turned out better. Also, on later nails I used more drops of polish and started in the center of my cup instead of the edge of my cup.



Step 4: Remove the tape. Once the tape is removed, apply a clear top coat to prevent chipping. Once the nail is completely dry, clean up around nail with fingernail polish remover and q-tips. Remember if you mess up, just remove it with polish remover and try again. The thing I really love about this technique is that there really is no "messed" up nail because every nail is different and unique in its on way. (For example, some of my nails were heavy on the dark blue (stupid pinky nail) and others were heavy on the gold)





Stayed tuned for an alternative approach (easier and quicker) to get the same marbling affect Hint: I use a paper clip.



Note: This article (http://www.ehow.com/how_5324723_apply-water-marbling-nail-art.html) explains this process pretty well.  

Blog Archive